Trainee Pyrotechnicians (Fireworks) Course
Would you like to learn how to plan, set up and fire a firework display?
Trainee Pyrotechnicians (Fireworks) Course
Eastcoast Fireworks are offering an Outdoor Pyrotechnics training course, which is designed for people who wish to gain skills, knowledge and experience to become a Trainee Pyrotechnician.
This course is designed to introduce you to the world of professional fireworks. You'll learn everything from managing the health and safety requirements, right through to hands-on training in rigging, fusing and firing Class 1 Explosives used in outdoor pyrotechnic displays.
The course is intended to educate people in the safe handling procedures when using Class 1 Explosives under supervision during outdoor pyrotechnic displays.
By the end of the course, participants will have acquired skills, knowledge and performance that will enable them to:
- Understand the Legislative requirements that need to be met
- Manage Health Safety requirements at fireworks displays
- Plan outdoor fireworks displays
- Operate outdoor fireworks displays
Participants can expect to cover the following theoretical and practical sessions during the course:
(1) Classroom Lectures & Presentations
– Hazardous Substances Legislation, Regulations Code of Practice for outdoor fireworks displays
– Fireworks risk management, transport, storage, handling, clean-up & disposal procedures
– Fireworks Planning, Site Design, Consents, Permits, Notifications, Insurance, Roles and Duties
– Personal Protective Equipment, Managing Emergencies, Firefighting and First Aid
– Firework Chemistry, Fireworks Classifications, Types, Effects and Non-Pyrotechnic Accessories
– Ground-Level Fireworks (Gerbs, fountains, flares, waterfalls, set pieces with lances and wheels)
– Low-Level Fireworks (Roman candles, mines, cakes (battery/combination)
– High-Level Fireworks (Aerial shells including 2” – 12”), Rockets and comets
– Fallout considerations, Partially Fired, Misfired and Dud Display Fireworks
– Rigging, Fusing and Firing methods, including Electronic and Hand fired
– Mortars FRE (fibre-reinforced epoxy), Mortars HDPE (high density polyethylene) and Racks
(2) Live Demonstrations
– Danger of improper use of fireworks
– Power of fireworks explosions through burning clothes and an explosion of objects
– Rigging, Fusing, Firing (Electronic and Hand) and disposal methods
(3) Supervised hands-on live fireworks training
– Practical Rigging, Fusing and Firing ground level fireworks and aerial shells (up to 75mm)
(4) Written final exam
– Pass a wrttien Test (Test results submitted to our EPA Test Certifier)
These provide the recommended minimum training Level for Approved Handlers regardless of experience level.
The successful completion of this course along with adequate verifiable fireworks display experience qualifies one to apply for the EPA Level 1 Approved Handlers Certification. Students are invited to help set up the evening demo display, and this counts towards the experience requirement for EPA Level 1 Approved Handlers Certification.
The course is approximately 8 hours of classroom and 16 hours of practical activities. The practical is the fun part, this is where you and your fellow students get to actually handle, setup and fire the fireworks that you learn about in the course.
Your course instructor is Simon Osborne who has over 15 years’ experience as a Pyrotechnician (and still has all his fingers) including 38 years as a rural firefighter.
Students will receive a distance learning resource kit which will contain the following learning material:
- Pre & Post Course Assignments
- Trainee Pyrotechnician (Fireworks) Log Book
- HSNO approved Code of Practice for Outdoor Pyrotechnic Display (HSNOCOP 30-2)
Students are assessed continuously during the course, including a post-course assignment and requirement to submit a log book of their fireworks experience.
Fireworks Display Log Book
Participants will be issued with a Trainee Pyrotechnician (Fireworks) Log Book which can be used to gather evidence of the necessary practical experience, in a variety of display environments, to complement their formal training for the award of a Level 1, or Level 2 or Level 3 Approved Handler Test Certificate for Outdoor Pyrotechnic Displays.
Statement of Attainment
Upon successful completion of the theory and practical components of the course, participants will be issued with a “Certificate and Statement of Attainment” which means they are able to apply safe handling procedures using Class 1 Explosives under supervision of an Approved Handler during outdoor pyrotechnic displays.
Approved Handler's Test Certificate & Controlled Substance Licence
Anyone may take the course, however if you want to be able to use, handle or work on a crew of a professional fireworks display you must have successfully completed training and additionally demonstrate to an EPA Test Certifier that you:
- are over 17, are a “fit and proper person” (Police Clearance)
- have evidence of knowledge and
- documented practical experience in having worked in a significant crew capacity at least four Level One outdoor fireworks displays and work that requires you to handle commercial fireworks.
The above information is used by the EPA Test Certifier to decide whether to issue an Approved Handler's Test Certificate for Outdoor Pyrotechnic Displays, as set out in the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (Personnel Qualifications) Regulations 2001 (Regulation 5).
In addition, if you are wishing to buy, sell, transport or possess Class 1 dangerous goods the you will also need to apply to Worksafe for a Controlled Substances Licence for Class 1 Explosives. This can be applied for once Approved Handler's Test Certificate for Outdoor Pyrotechnic Displays is achieved.
The course will be run from our Rural Fire Station situated at 56 Mill Street, Ongaonga, Central Hawke’s Bay. Students are expected to make their own travel arrangements to and from Ongaonga, and should arrive by 0900 hours for registration on the first day of the course.
Two consecutive Saturdays between 0900 – 2200 hours + time to clean up
Items to Bring
You need to bring and wear comfortable cotton clothing suitable for outdoor use, cold/wet weather clothing, enclosed footwear, personal stationery (pens & paper). We will supply Personal Protection Equipment.
Meals & Accommodation
Lunch as well as morning and afternoon tea will be provided, participants are responsible for their own accommodation, breakfast and evening meals during the course.
Please ensure you bring photo identification to your course. This can be a valid Passport, a valid NZ Drivers Licence or a HANZ 18 Plus card.
Course Fees and Arrangements
The course fee is $1200.00 GST Inc. per person and comprises:
– Course tuition and notes
– Fireworks and pyrotechnic materials
– Lunch and refreshments
– Assessments and Certificate of attendance
Course applications must be accompanied by a $600 non-returnable deposit at the time of booking to secure your spot, with the balance of $600 payable two weeks prior to the commencement of the courses. If payment has not been received by this time the booking will be considered null and void.
Fees can be paid by cash, EFT, PayPal or by cheque. If you are unsure of what's right for you, or just want someone to talk it over with, call us on 06 856 6091. We are here to help.
Bookings made by telephone or email are not confirmed until enrolment forms and 50% deposit has been received. Many of our courses tend to be over-subscribed. In these cases, places will be confirmed in the order that enrolment forms and payment are received.
To be eligible to enrol in this training programme, participants must be over 17 years of age or older and be able to complete and pass a Ministry of Justice criminal history record check.
Places are limited, so get in quick to secure your spot on the next course!
To apply please Download this enrolment form
All applications must be accompanied by:
– Your completed and signed Booking Form
– Your $600 non-returnable deposit
Course Booking Form
Welcome to the Eastcoast Fireworks online course booking form. Please complete the form below if you would like to join an upcoming Trainee Pyrotechnician (Fireworks) course.
Please note that the submission of this booking form does not confirm the booking. The Eastcoast Fireworks Team will get back to you shortly to continue the booking process.